Monday, May 3, 2010

How do I explain to my kids life is not a Wii game?



Image Source

My kids like to play the Wii. I do not. So their Wii-life (lived with their dad) happily does not intersect with the real life I live with them.

Until recent events have brought the Wii-life and the real life together all too much.

Yesterday, my husband reported that on the drive back from Hebrew School Kay (age 4) insisted when they were going along a nice straightaway of road, "Do a wheelie! Do a wheelie!"

And then a few minutes later, as they drove by another car, "Shoot a turtle shell!"

"That's funny," I replied. "I bet since Magpie's older (age 6) and realizes those things can't really happen in real life, thought that was really silly."

And my husband, chuckling, says, "Yeah, Magpie totally thought it was ridiculous because it was obviously a situation where I should use the oil slick, or maybe the magic bullet, but definitely not turtle shells."

But wait, there's more.




Today, I got even further proof that the kids really have no idea that this thing called life is not just a 3-D video game.

It was the witching hour. Their infant brother was screaming and screaming and screaming. Magpie was trying to get my attention. I yelled over the baby, "I can't hear you, Ziggy's screaming! Wait a minute!"

And Magpie hollers back, "Mom, pause the baby just for a minute!"

And I tell you, she was not kidding.

I'm linking-up this old post to my favorite weekly party, Finding the Funny. If you haven't found it yet, head over to Kelley's Break Room and My Life and Kids to read all the funny they have over there.

9 comments:

l.e.s.ter said...

I think my brilliant niece just invented something really lucrative. Get on it, lady!

Patricia said...

Oh that's so cute! My kids pretend that their siblings have 'off' buttons. It would come in handy at bedtime!

Bag,am said...

Love this! My teens likely feel the same way about Geats of War but they haven't texted to tell me about it. Words spken are so "old school it seems.

sparkling74 said...

Oh, I so understand that she totally wanted you to pause that baby. Kids really don't get it!

Anna ~ RandomHandprints.com said...

It's so true they don't. Just think how much *we'd* use that pause button if we had one!

Anna ~ RandomHandprints.com said...

Oh teens, I can only imagine what that will be like.

Anna ~ RandomHandprints.com said...

I would love an off button on each of my kids, oh to dream...

Anna @ My Life and Kids said...

Oh - I LOVE this! And I could REALLY use that pause button! :)

You were one of the most-clicked links at last week's #findingthefunny party (again!) We're featuring you tomorrow, and I pinned this. Thanks for linking up!

Meredith said...

Pause the baby! Ha! I'm dying! Very funny post :)

{Keep Reading}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...