Thursday, September 22, 2011

R.I.P. Troy Davis

“The death penalty is a symptom of a culture of violence, not a solution to it.”
- Guadalupe Marengo, Amnesty International’s Deputy Director for the Americas
I haven't followed the Troy Davis story until yesterday, when I saw the coverage online and the tweets trending on Twitter.

And despite not knowing much about the crime Troy Davis was convicted of, or of the legal process that ultimately concluded in his death, I know I do not support his execution. I am against the death penalty.

Yesterday's execution of Troy Davis reminds me why I am. Here is a man, executed, who might have been innocent. Here is a man, executed, who by just about all accounts did not have adequate legal counsel. Here is a man, executed, who is black convicted of killing a man who is white - a combination that makes it more than three times more likely he would be given a death penalty conviction.

To be honest, after reading more about the crime, I think Troy Davis is probably guilty. But that's the problem - I think he's probably guilty. And today, there is no probably left for Troy Davis.

And that is definitely wrong.
"I'd like to address the MacPhail family. Let you know, despite the situation you are in, I'm not the one who personally killed your son, your father, your brother. I am innocent. The incident that happened that night is not my fault. I did not have a gun. All I can ask ... is that you look deeper into this case so that you really can finally see the truth. I ask my family and friends to continue to fight this fight. For those about to take my life, God have mercy on your souls. And may God bless your souls."
- the last words of Troy Davis


Rest in Peace, Troy Davis.

October 9, 1969 - September 21, 2011
Photo from Amnesty International

Click here to sign Amnesty International's petition "Not In My Name" to abolish the death penalty.
 

9 comments:

Lisa - this little piggy said...

Like you, I picked up on this late. It is beyond sad. Great article in the Huffington Post about it - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/21/troy-davis-and-lawrence-b_n_974293.html

Jessica Cohen said...

I picked up on this late too. I think it's time to revisit reasonable doubt in general.

Blueviolet said...

This story escaped me for some reason, but I am not a supporter of the death penalty at all. I just don't think it's right to take a life, proof or no proof.

Blueviolet said...

I should clarify that I mean I don't like people making decisions for other people about whether life should be allowed to continue. Does that make sense?

RandomHandprints said...

yes, that does make sense. and the troy davis situation seemed even more complicated by the belief of many that he might be an innocent man who was put to death.

RandomHandprints said...

yes, i agree.

RandomHandprints said...

just read, thanks for passing along. thought that the comments on the article were also very compelling.

MannahattaMamma said...

You're right: it's the "probably" that's the kicker here. And people like to say we live in a civilized country...hmm. At the risk of adding a whole nother layer of cynicism here, what do you suppose would've been the outcome if Troy Davis had been white and middle-class instead of black and unemployed?

Elizabeth-Flourish in Progress said...

I don't have a lot of words for this. I am very mixed. I don't support it...but part of me thinks that if a heinous crime were to happen to my family, I might support the idea of it.

{Keep Reading}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...